All students are encouraged to be reflective (with the help of a psychometric profiling programme) and to make informed, individual progression decisions. The Careers Department supports students in whatever pathway they choose and this has led to successful destinations to higher education, employment and apprenticeships. Our destination information is updated on an annual basis.
University Applications - some facts and figures
The majority of our students go on to university, either straight from College or after a gap year.
There was a dip when the new tuition fee system was brought in but applications have bounced back as students recognise the value of the financial investment.
University Destinations 2020
- 519 students were offered places at university in 2020 (including former students).
- In almost every subject area, our students achieve a 100% university application success rate.
- 50% of students gained places at a Russell group university in 2020
- Over 200 students have applied to Oxford or Cambridge in the last 5 years with an average success rate almost double the national average
- Application success rate for medicine in 2019 was 70% (the national average is 36%).
- Primary Teaching applications in 2019 were 87% successful (the national average is 54%).
- Nursing applications in 2019 were 65% successful (the national average is 45%).
My son has the chance to go to Imperial College, London or Durham University to study Chemistry. He has not only enjoyed studying at Hereford but has also taken part in other activities and made some good friends. We are very, very happy and extremely grateful to everyone at the College.
Apprenticeships and Employment with Training
2018/19 was another successful year for students progressing onto apprenticeships and jobs with training.
Competition for these places is often fierce and students were prepared for applications through the College Job and Apprenticeship Support Programme which includes work experience, an employment and training convention, CV and letter writing sessions, training provider open days, research support etc.
Listed below are some of our recent successes (including degree apprenticeships):
- Accountancy and Finance.
- BBC Production.
- Quantity Surveying.
- The Armed Forces.
- Business Administration.
- Health and Social Care and many more.
Information about destinations is included in the Government Performance Tables.
Click here for information relating to Hereford Sixth Form College prior to March 2017.
Click here for information relating to Hereford Sixth Form College since March 2017.